Camp Reynolds - World War II Army Cam






ALEX MILLIGAN       (Source: Email/The Internet)

I was stationed in Camp Reynolds in the summer of 1944.  I was drum leader in the Drum and Bugle corps during that summer. 

PAUL L. GENEREUX  20th Field Hospital   (Source: The Internet)

I was drafted into the US Army on 16 September 1943 and sent to Fort Lewis, Tacoma, Washington (Army Ground Forces Training Camp –ed). Once there, I was outfitted with military clothes and gear and was put on a troop train for a seven-day trip through Oregon, Wyoming and on to Camp Barkley, Abilene, Texas (Medical Replacement Training Center –ed) for basic medical training for a duration of 6 weeks or so, then on to Brooke General Hospital (Army General Hospital activated 29 October 1942 –ed) located at Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio Texas. Going from Camp Barkley, which I considered a hell hole compared to Fort Sam, was like going to heaven.

In mid-January 1944 I was assigned to go overseas with the “First Provisional Replacement Battalion” in England. From Fort Sam, I went to Camp Reynolds, Greenville, Pennsylvania (Army Service Forces Replacement Depot –ed) which was an Army Camp where soldiers bound for overseas assignment were given additional training, including anti-gas warfare, live fire training, weapons shooting and so forth. After several days there, a number of us were shipped to Fort Slocum, New York.

Sid (Source: The Internet)
In 1943 Sid graduated from Indiana University after spending exactly one month short of three calendar years on campus. On December 6, 1943, Sid began intensive officers training at Camp Reynolds in Victory, Pa., and then on to Fort Slocum, NY and later was shipped to Europe.

The Otsego Farmer (Source: The Internet)
The Otsego Farmer - Friday, October 27, 1944 Mrs. Webb's Nephew Is Killed In Action. Pfc. Gano H. Jewell, son of Mr. and Mrs. Harold G. Jewell of No. 13 Cromer Avenue, Schenectady, NY previously reported missing in action, was killed August 4th while serving as a field medical man in France the War department informed the parents. He was stationed at Camp Reynolds, PA before going overseas in May, 1944.

Wally Nadel - Camp Shenango - PA  (Source: The Internet)

A temporary facility for the transfer and replacement of "trained" soldiers to where they might be needed. 
From there, you could be sent North, South, East, or West. It was an isolated and uneventful place with no one ordering you to march or exercise. This is where we put back the weight we lost in basic training.

Unknown - Camp Reynolds  (Source: The Internet)
Quite a few of us were transported here by truck from Aberdeen Proving Grounds (APG), Maryland a few days after finishing basic training and graduating from Ordnance School.
The Quartermaster personnel issued new G.I. garb and duffle bags upon arrival to Camp Reynolds. Some of us had to report back a couple of days later because we were issued mostly cotton-made clothes instead of wool. Hmm? I didn't know why. Another delay.
Once we were processed, assignment documents were issued to some of us selected to report at a specific date to Camp Hood, Texas after a 15-day furlough.
The 15-day furlough was great news but the outcome was not so great. It was a catastrophe for me. Getting home to Philadelphia was a problem. The empty convoy of 3/4-ton trucks that brought us here were returning to Aberdeen, Maryland driving through the outskirts of Pittsburgh and those on furlough going in that direction were allowed to hitch on for a free ride but had to get off and manage other means of transportation from there on. I was the only one going to Philly. They let me off at a highway crossroad heading toward Philadelphia.
Hitchhiking was not a problem in those days, specially for soldiers and sailors. I was lucky to hitch a ride all the way in to a trolley-car terminal southwest of Philadelphia I was familiar with.

Robert Blesson
After completing basic training at Ft Bragg, NC 5 of us in the I & S Battery who were unwanted were shipped to Camp Shenango and arrived there on June 1, 1943. I was assigned to an office where I spent the month of June  working on AWOL records. That was quite an experience. At the end of June I was on a Troop train headed for Camp Taunton MA. At the end of July I was sent back to Camp Shenango arriving July 31st. I served guard duties which ended August 2nd at 6 am. Upon returning to the barracks a guy told me I was assigned to a group that was going to New York city which was where I was from.

Ken Kulp
I enlisted in November 1942 after working at Bethlehem Steel in Pottstown, PA. I did Boot Camp at Fort Meade in Baltimore, MD. I started out making $21 a month and $70 a month when I was Discharged in January 1946.
I was 1 of 24 men & 1 Warrant officer who rode the Baltimore/Ohio deluxe train from Washington DC to Youngstown, OH and then bused to Camp Shenango. Upon unloading at the camp I was given a pair of articles, rubber boots (1 size fit all), due to the cold and the snow.
I remember big buildings at the camp (warehouses maybe) by the railroad that held trucks. I was paid in cash monthly while at the camp. Laundry was $1.50 a month at the camp. I also remember we did marches to Greenville and back.
During my stay at the camp I recall a POW strike where their dishwashers went on strike. They only hurt themselves because they could not eat due to no clean dishes. No dishwashing equaled No eating, the strike lasted about a week.
My buddy stole/snuck a turkey from the mess hall on a holiday. We cooked it on the heater-coal stove in the barracks, the head guy smelled it & all the fellas had to pull guard duty of the POWs with unloaded guns.
I also recall seeing Judy Garland faking eating a meal at one of the Mess Halls.
Smoking was only allowed in the daytime due to being seen by airplanes at night. 7 gallons of gas was $1.
I made my own cards and played cards and Ping Pong at the Day Room.
I never forgot the dances at the service clubs and hitch-hiking to Franklin to the clubs (we could get in for free).

John A Trussler
I have many pleasant memories of Camp Shenango plus the people in Greenville and Sharon. The citizens could not do enough for the soldiers. I was one of the original Cadre sent in from Fort Benning to open up the camp. When we arrived the barracks and the mess facilities were not quite ready for us to move into.